Monday, August 16, 2010

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Review

I've completed the single player campaign for a while now and I stand by what I've wrote in my previous post, I'm not impressed. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty are getting mostly positive review from other websites and gamers, and I don't totally agreed with them. It's not a bad game by all means, it just does not live up to the hype. I'm not going to write a long review covering all aspect of the game, its a classic real time strategy games stay true to its root. There's nothing revolutionary here or anything fancy to talk about here, graphic is good, sound is ok, storyline not bad (I'm quite interested to see how they are going to do with the zerg storyline), and CG cutscene is good as well. If you haven't heard about, the only new element they added is a rpg like area where you can interact with characters, research and other thing. Seriously, if they cut out this part of the game, the game will be extremely short. How short you ask? I think I completed the game under 20 hours, and I'm playing it very slowly. I think I spent 1/3 of the time in the base, and the rest on the actual mission. Yes, it's definitely much more shorter than previous installment. Most mission play very much like tutorial introducing new units in each mission, all you have to do is to keep building them and complete your objective. There's a wide variety of mission types, nothing too memorable I must say. I completed most of them in under 40 minutes (slowly). So even there's 26 mission in the game, it still feel extremely short. There's not too much challenge in the game beside the last mission which I reloaded 3 times to win.

So does it worth the extra 10 bucks? Hell no! Not counting the multiplayer of course. Bottom line, I'm sure all fans will be pleased, it does not disappoint. Although I do hope they will at least improve the gameplay a little like after seeing what Relic did in company of heroes. If you haven't play this game, you should totally try it. Its the best real time strategy games in recent memory, or maybe the best in all time. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty still provide fun and enjoyable experience to the player, I finished the whole game so it couldn't be that bad. After all, rts is not my favorite genre in gaming. I preferred slower games like rpg, turn-based strategy like xcom, jagged alliance, fallout 1&2...etc. Unfortunately, its the least favorite in gaming market and slowly dying. What I'm trying to say is I could be a little bias, for rts fans StarCraft 2 might be a gem from the sky.

Final score: 8.5/10 (single player experience only)

No comments:

Post a Comment