Wednesday, September 23, 2009

How to extract .001 .002 etc extension file

Since file hosting sites are getting more popular, we have seen some new type of uploading style. Most file hosting site have file upload size limit, some smaller some larger. I personally would prefer smaller file size as it reduces the chance of broken file or sudden file lost due to lost of connection, especially when your at 90 over percent. Since uploader can't upload a file that's larger than the limit, they have to split the original file into smaller separate file. In the past, most people's are using Winrar to do the job, but it has less choice in size and harder to use. So a free software called hjsplit comes to the rescue. Although the software doesn't compress the file, it can easily split a large file size into various smaller size file & join it together again with a few clicks of button.

So next time when you see extension such as .001 - .(whatever number), you need to download hjsplit freeware at: www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ and join the file back together before you can use it. If you can't see the extension of the file, read my previous post and learn how you can activate it. The free software doesn't require any installation, download the .exe double click the software and you are ready to use. The software is only about 300 Kb in size, so it can be downloaded within seconds depends on your internet connection.

It's not only useful when using to upload file online, I also found it useful when transferring large file from my netbook to my PC. If you have a large pendrive then transferring large file would be easier, but if you are like me only have 2 1 GB pendrive then you'd have to split the file using hjsplit, so you can transfer those smaller file to your pendrive then to your PC. Once you have transferred all files to your PC, use the free software again to join all the bits together. There's various reason why people's need such software, I never thought of it before I need it and it's really useful. I found myself using it quite a lot to transfer file from my netbook to my PC or PC to netbook. Even if you don't need it now, remember this freeware hjsplit, some day it might becomes handy. Especially when you download a lot from file hosting site, you might come across such extension in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment