Saturday, September 19, 2009

It's time to move from Windows xp to Windows 7

Before I start talking my experiences with the new Windows 7 RC version which will be released on 22nd October this year, I have never use Vista before. You might be wondering why I never want to try Vista but willing to test the RC released of Win 7? That's because I heard too much bad thing about Vista, on the other hand, Windows 7 has been getting positive review since the Beta released & my friend just happens to have the RC version on his pendrive, so out of conveniences I decided to install Windows 7 in my netbook along with Windows xp.

To tell the truth, my experience with Win 7 has been overwhelming, the first thing you would notice is the graphically impressive interface. I know it's weird but it gives you a classy and professional feel to it that makes using Win 7 a great pleasure. But still, the most important thing is the innovative features. I know some of the function such as Aero effects is in the vista, but it slows down even the most powerful computer as I heard, it's a badly optimized OS. Fortunately, Windows 7 is as fast as it can be with Aero effects even on a 1.66 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM netbook. Sometime it even feel faster than XP with all the very cool desktop effects, and the boot & shut down time is on par with Xp, maybe a little slower. Beside the old Aero effects, there's also some new and improved features in Windows 7. Let's talk about the improvement first, the gadgets which is one of the favorite features. In Vista there's a limited space on the right side that let you drop your favorite gadgets in it, but you can only use very limited of gadgets as there's very limited space. In Windows 7 you can drop it wherever you want on the desktop and design it on your own. There's a lot of useful gadgets already in Win 7 such as clock, calender, cpu meter..etc. Beside the one already in Win 7, users are allowed to develop their own gadgets and share it on Windows official site. Some cool gadgets I found including one button shut down, hibernate. I'm sure when Windows 7 is release, you'll be able to find more cool gadgets.

Now let's talk about what's new in Win7. There's quite a lot, I'm just going to briefly go through it such as jumplist & pin any program to taskbar which is also very cool & useful. Every time you point on the program for example your firefox browser, it'll show you a list of all browser. Point at it and it'll display the browser on the background, click on it and it'll stay. Pin any program to taskbar let you place your most use program on the taskbar for quick access.

I've been talking about how great Windows 7 is, but is it really flawless? Unfortunately no. I have some driver problems with my modem and the company hasn't update any new drivers since XP. So if I want to use Windows 7 and my internet connection, then I might have to buy a newer broadband modem. Although Windows 7 have a compatibility mode called xp mode which let all software that run on Windows xp also run under Windows 7. But to use the xp mode, you need some kind of intel virtualization support which my netbook doesn't support. It's a great addition for those who are still using old software, but the need of hardware support itself is a problem. Thank god I installed Windows 7 as an additional so I can dual boot both xp and 7.

Even though there's still some driver problem with my modem, I still seriously thinking of buying Windows 7 when it release later next month. It's a great OS, it looks great and run fast. I think it's time to move from a 10 years old os, you can really see the age of xp after you use windows 7. If you are buying a new PC or notebook, wait till the release of Windows 7, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment