Saturday, November 7, 2009

The best combination of Software to stay Virus free

Ever since I lost over $100 in my account because of Trojan virus as I believe, I started to be very careful with my web activity & the security I chose to use. If you too have a Paypal or internet banking account associate with your personal information & credit card details, you'd want to be extra careful when using the internet. Viruses, spyware, adware, malware, trojan horses are everywhere and it's on an upward trend since the start of internet days. Maybe it's not as scary as it sounds, with the necessary antiviruses software and some other securit tool, you can keep your PCs free of viruses. Don't ever think... no my computer can't possible get infected with viruses as I just only check my email and login to my facebook account most of the time. I learnt my lesson and hopefully you are not the next victim.

I use 3 security software, avast, zonealarm and trojan hunter. I have all sort my banking account on the internet as I'm a web developer, it's necessary for me to check my account very often. I've been using the combination of these 3 software, and it kept me safe for more than 5 years since I lost my money. I'm pretty sure my PC isn't fully clean, some spyware or malware might still be hieen within my files, but it keeps the dangerous high security risk viruses and trojan away from my PC.

You might think that with 3 software installed in my PC it's going to cost me alot? No exactly the opposite, it doesn't cost me any money! And I don't mean I'm getting pirated software. There's a lot of good antivirus, firewall, trojan horse software out there for free. But don't expect to get the full protection out of a free software, but with 3 free security software, that's probably more than enough to keep your online account safe. Of course, that's my own opinion, if you have the money to spend, it's always recommended to buy the full version of the software. It never hurts with a little extra protection, don't you agree?

Before I changed to avast, I was using norton. Both are good in my opinion, avast and another great antivirus software are AVG. I changed because norton is working slow on my PC and eating up a lot of computer resources. To tell the truth, I never really use the antivirus a lot, well yes it's there active in my taskbar icon, but I never bother to do any scanning or it catches any viruses intruding either. In fact I started to update the virus definition database longer and longer in between. It's bad, but sometime I'm just too lazy. There's an auto update of course, but my internet connection was too slow and I turn it off and do manual update from time to time.

The security software I think it's a must is the firewall. Everytime there's suspicious connection trying to access your computer, it'll block them and ask for your permission. For example when I open my firefox browser, zonealarm will pop up with a message and ask for internet connection confirmation. It's a little more work, but it's not as bad as you'd have thought. On a side note, you can give absolute access to those software you trust so zonelalarm won't keep asking for permission everytime you open the program. You can get zonealarm free version at its official site. I highly recommed you to get the full version as it also includes spyware protectio. Zonealarm for me is the most important security software on my computer that I cannot live without. It's a great software and I've paid for it. For me, firewall got to be the best and other just average or a free version is enough.

And if you are like me have banking account on the internet and do a lot of transaction. I recommend you to use trojan hunter for some extra protection. Trojan hunter are specialized in catching and blocking trojan horses which is important for us as it trying to steals your password by placing backdoor script on your PC. It's recommended for you to update the virus definition very often.

Last but not least, these security software are necessary and it gives you extra protection against viruses, trojan horse, spyware and adware. But there's always precautious steps you can do to reduce the risk of getting infected. First, never click on a link on your email. Check who is the sender first and check the link location by hover over the link. Even it's from a friend, it's always save to double check before you click on it. If you accidently click on it and it brought you to some weird website, close the site and scan your computer with your antiviruses software before you access any account on the web. Second, avoid download an attachment from annoymous. Third, visit only autorized website. By taking these pre-cautious step, it'll definitely helps to reduce the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment