Sunday, November 29, 2009

Homepage showing apache page. How to fix?

I'm having the same problem when setting up new site in my VPS hosting. That's the good thing about VPS, unlike shared hosting you can host as many sites as you want as long as you don't overused your server allocated resources. Anyways, I was trying to set up a new wordpress blog. After creating a new account for the site and uploaded all wordpress files, the homepage was still showing temporary apache page. Initially I thought I should just wait for a while for it to sort it out itself, but nothing is changing after an hour. So, I decided to contact my host servint for solution. As a side note, if you are looking for an VPS hosting, servint is one the best around. It's a little more expensive than other vps hosting but the speed and support is top notch.

Before the support could give me any solution, the site itself solved the problem itself again. The email support was fast though, I waited around only 15 minutes. While waiting for an answer, I haven done something to the account, and it could be the solution to the problem. If not I'm not sure what's causing it? As this is the only thing I've done to the account. If you happened to have the same problems, here's my solution.

You need to create an A host for your new site. If you are using WHM Cpnel, login to your account, find the option edit DNS under DNS zone. Scroll to the bottom and insert your server information for A host, example:

ns1 14400 A xxx.xxx.xxx.1
ns2 14400 A xxx.xxx.xxx.2

It doesn't seems to take effect immediately for my case. Wait for around 5-10 minutes and check your site again. If it's still showing apache page, I think you should contact your hosting and ask them to fix it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment