Sunday, August 23, 2009

The best free File Hosting site

Torrent might be of the past. You have got to admit that most older torrents doesn't have enough seed to provide decent downloading speed. This is where file hosting site started to get popular. All files are stored on the web hosting site, and most site provides decent & stable downloading speed. But if you have fast downloading speed over 100kbps and the torrent you are downloading is new with tons of seeder, then that's another case. Using torrent is still the speediest way to download when there's a lot of seeder, there's no speed limit. On the other hand, most file hosting site have some sort of limitation such as speed & one download per IP.

There's quite a lot of file hosting site on the internet, some famous one including rapidshare, mediafire, megaupload...etc. But the best file hosting site I've used so far is Mediafire, it has less limitation on download. Although there's a max speed for each download, it doesn't limit how much files you can download at once, and it also allows the use of download accelerator for resume download which most other file hosting site doesn't support.

Of course I'm talking about free service here, I've never subscribe to a paid member before, so I don't have any comment on the paid service. But from what I have heard, rapidshare & mediafire are on the top list. Unless you are a frequent downloader and you want to download it faster, I don't see any reason to pay for the services. Rapidshare have various plan for users, you can pay for one day unlimited or the whole month. A few bucks a day wasn't so bad at all if it's file that you really wanted.

Since Rapidshare is one of the most popular file hosting site, I'll talk a little about it. For me who use an internet provider that shared the same IP, I have a lot of trouble downloading files from rapidshare. Rapidshare only allows one download per IP for every few minutes in between. Since I'm on a shared IP, most of the time if not all I'd just get a download limit exceeded messages. Well, that's me anyway. Since most internet provider would give each user's an unique IP, it shouldn't be a problem. About the download speed limitation, it varies in countries. Some countries get faster download speed up to 100kbps such as US, Japan...etc. While others get only around 45kbps. It's not bad at all for a free services. If you are using torrent, I'm sure you can't get such constant speed.

It's all where the uploader's upload their files to. Most file hosting provide decent download speed, those I didn't mention including hotfile and many more. All you can do is hope that the file you want to download is being uploaded to the site that you preferred or maybe do a request from the uploader.

Free file hosting is something we never see in the past where hosting service was really expensive. Even now file hosting still cost a lot to maintain as I know, with all the crazy download bandwidth each day I'm not sure how the owner would survive from it. I guess somehow they found their way, good for them and us.

No comments:

Post a Comment